Friday, November 14, 2008

Today is a new day


So yesterday my boss called me into her office to tell me that they were eliminating my position at the company, effective immediately, and that I could stay till the end of the day if I wanted. Ur... yes, indeed. I was taken quite by surprise, to say the least. It's not so bad, though, because I've been meaning to find a new job since, ur, last year and I'm getting three months severance pay. I am very grateful for that because, honestly, without it I probably would have just upped and died on the spot. Times are rather lean here at the moment so being suddenly without an income would have been a disaster. I'm not sure what I will do but I will be starting my job search on Monday.

In the meantime, I have set myself for rules for living without a job: get up before 7am on weekdays, have a shower and wash my hair and make myself presentable as though I were actually going to work somewhere (somewhere quite casual, of course), remember to drink at least 6 glasses of water during the day, maintain an exercise regimen, and absolutely no extended napping. I suppose you can expect an increase in blog entries.

I only got up about 40 minutes later than I would have if I had to be at work at 9:30am today. I showered, I made my face, I got dressed and was out of the house well before 9am. I went to the bank and I bought bagels for breakfast, a newspaper, and a box of bandaids*. We ate the bagels and read the paper. Stephen left for work and I've been reading my regular websites and blogs, emailing people, and making lists of things to attend to. Bitsy is napping in the window sill. I recently moved her fleecy cat bed up there because I thought she might like it and I was right.

So that's all, really. Later today I am going to make some "cream" of broccoli soup and do some exercises**. We're going to a gathering at a friend's house this evening so I may also make some snacks to take over. Perhaps a dip.


* Last weekend I cut half my fingernail off with a knife while I was making dinner. We've been going through bandaids at a rather rapid rate since then.

** I've been seeing physical therapists for the last few months because of kneee and back problems. I have lots of exercises that need to be done on a regular basis. They have been enormously helpful. If anyone wants to buy my leftover muscle relaxants and opiates, I could certainly use the cash... Just kidding.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are on the right track, sister. I was temping/unemployed for a couple of months about ten years ago and the only way I made it through was by having a routine. Seriously, just getting up everyday and putting on clothes that aren't jammies makes you human.
And just think of all the tricks you can teach Bittsy in the next three months!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking this could be the opportunity for a whole new blog direction, Cor. Each week you could post a new entry, complete with photos, on your most recent attempts to secure a job by various crazy means. Your first attempt could see you standing on a busy intersection wearing a posterboard that says "Hire me", or suchlike.

Cornelia said...

Yeah, I'll be teaching Bitsy not to attack me while I'm on the floor doing exercises.

I'm hoping not to have to resort to crazy means in order to secure a job, actually. I have enough trouble with all the regular means.