
So today I broke two of my rules: I got up after 7am and I did some extended napping. Sigh. I'm so ashamed! No, not really. Here's the thing: it was very cold last night. I was warm enough in bed, actually too warm and I did not sleep well. I was wedged in between Stephen and Bitsy and was only able to toss and turn within a very limited space. Most frustrating. When my alarm went off I was tired, cranky, and sweaty and the heating had not yet come on. The prospect of getting out of bed, damp, into the frigid air was, well, less than appealing. So I hit snooze until I could no longer stand the gnawing of my conscience or the cat's demands for breakfast, which was, for the record, before 8am.
I emailed me resume to someone in HR at my old company, who had offered to forward it to one of her contacts. She called and left me a message telling me that, basically, it sucked and that in the current economic climate (etc) it would not help me at all. In response, I ate cold leftovers out of the fridge and then lay down on the sofa for a long nap. I slept until I started to have confusing nightmares, got up and ate some chocolate chips. So. Tomorrow, I am going to overhaul my resume and am now feeling very fired up about it. No one likes a kick in the arse but, you know, they're pretty useful. Apparently, the universe has finally come round to the fact that I am essentially fairly lazy and need regular kicking in order to get anything done.
Anyway. I was feeling so guilty about my unscheduled nap that I decided to attempt to go for a run, which, to my surprise, turned out to be a great success. I ran nine laps of the track by our house. That's four laps more than I have been able to manage at any point this year and the longest run I have done in 8 years. Huzzah! All those hours of repetitive exercises and visiting the physio for excruciating deep tissue massage are finally paying off. I am, as they say, mad excited. Also? Turns out that the track is nice and quiet when it's below freezing out. Woo!

Yesterday Stephen and I went to the South Street Seaport Museum. It was not quite what I was expecting but neato nonetheless. We were disappointed that their ships were not open for viewing (I guess because it was so cold) but we enjoyed looking at FDR's maritime history collection, cutaways of commercial cruise ships, and photos from the Fulton Street Fish Market. We will definitely go back some day when we can walk about out the Peking, the Ambrose and whatever else they have docked down there.

On another note, I'm not sure whether any of you ever listen to streaming radio through iTunes but we have recently started listen to WKSU and have been enjoying it very much. It's an NPR affiliate operating from Kent State University, Ohio. We appreciate their civilized-classic-music-and-no-anxiety-heightening-music-or-inane-commentary approach to evening radio. Living in New York can be quite stressful and one usually needs to be soothed at the end of the day. WKSU helps.
3 comments:
Arg - sorry to hear about the job! But hope you find something good soon - I'm sure you will.
You'll be happy to know I am ensconced in marking contracts and property law exams... mmmm!
xxh
ps. The vet nurse was wrong. Our kitten is very much male! But he just has to live with having a girly name now - too bad! And apparently "moy" means sexy in dutch.
Ha! Well, I don't envy you the exam marking one bit.
From now on your kitten shall be addressed as MISTER Moya.
Merry Chrissy-kitty-mas!
Your tree party sounds lovely - I love cutting paper snowflakes.
Mister Moya kitty-kato suits him quite well. And since the most recent visit to the vet, he's not quite as male as he once was...
Post a Comment