Saturday, January 17, 2009

In which we eat, learn about the past, and shop


This morning Stephen and I hauled ourselves out into the cold cold* for some grocery shopping. Stephen was feeling a little seedy after being laid off yesterday and subsequently going on a bender so, before hitting the stores, we stopped at Peter Pan for a delicious counter breakfast: whole wheat glazed doughnut for me, bacon, cheese and egg on a roll for Stephen and, of course, coffee for both of us. We stayed long after we'd finished eating to chat with two old timers who had been reminiscing about the neighbourhood. Bill and Mike told us about how there used to be several theatres on Manhattan Avenue there, how Peter Pan had changed over the years, how they used to heat their houses with coal furnaces, and how they used to play stickball and punchball in the street, sometimes for money, when they were kids in the 1940s. It was neat.

Anyway, we bought spelt berries, tangerines, chickpeas, black mission figs, and olive oil, amongst other things. We've been spending the afternoon keeping warm drinking peppermint tea and laughing at this weird** Japanese game show on Hulu.com, which is rather entertaining. I've also been hanging things on the walls and making postcards to send to strangers via sendsomething.net.

I suppose now I'll do my exercises and we'll listen to A Prairie Home Companion and eat dinner and go to sleep and wake up in the morning to a new day.

* -8C
** as though there's any other kind

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was 45 degrees here on Friday. I turned up at the office and worked for a couple of hours without saving anything and then the power was cut right across Melbourne. There was no air conditioning anywhere. I got on a train to get away from the heat and the power was cut again so I was trapped on a train with lots of angry people. It was very funny. I laughed for a very long time, and I kept laughing until an old woman slapped me and told me to snap out of it.