Monday, October 17, 2005

Saw Capote last night. Philip Seymour Hoffman is always wonderful but I'm still not sure how I felt about this one. I wasn't sure whether I felt sorry for his character or not and I wasn't sure if I felt sorry for the murderer he befriended or not either. Hmm. I did decide, though, that if we're going to execute people for their crimes then it should be done publicly. If things like that are done in dark secret places then no one sees justice being done and no one sees a deterrent (and I won't be drawn into a discussion here as to whether or not death equals justice). Anyway, thinking about capital punishment was not the point of the film and it is well worth seeing.

They (them again!) are filming a movie outside my office building today. The street is lined with pretty vintage cars and people dressed in a variety of grey and beige clothing from the 1950s. Most of the cars seemed to be shades grey and beige, too. Odd. Also, annoying because when I came back from lunch I couldn't go straight into the building but had to cross the street and enter from the subway. Hmph.

Oh! I almost forgot: the most marvellous thing happened on Saturday. The sun came out. I woke up to find the room filled with light and was immediately transformed into a new person. I was just about ready to kill myself and everyone else in the world. Eugh. I know now with absolute certainty that I can never live in Seattle or Portland. Sigh.

No comments: