Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Last weekend on the waterfront


Well! We went to Cleveland last weekend for my cousin Erin's wedding. You may not know this but Cleveland is not considered a very interesting place. We had plans to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but otherwise did not have high hopes. It turned out that the RRHF was closed while we were there but we had a lovely time anyway. It was a much nicer weekend than we had expected, which sounds totally obnoxious, I know, but whatever. Well, we flew into Cleveland very early (because we had a 6:30am flight [it seemed like a good idea at the time] and there's no time change). We spent a while waiting for the shuttle bus to our hotel, which was annoying, but, you know, the people at the Hilton Doubletree were so nice that they prepared our room early (check in is supposed to be at 3pm). Also, when we checked in they gave us each an enormous, warm, chocolate chip cookie. We hadn't eaten for ages so, of course, it was the best thing we ever tasted. We got to our room and promptly passed out.
The rehearsal dinner was at the 100th Bomb Group where I failed to recognise my aunt and cousins. That was ok, though, because they didn't recognise me either. The restaurant is totally cheesy and totally cool at the same time - I suppose it helps if you're interested in WWII.
The next morning we met the fam for breakfast at Denny's (Denny's!), which was so much better than I though it might be. After breakfast we went back to the hotel to sleep (oh, really? yes). We heard on the radio that one out of three Ohians (Ohions?) are obese. Huh. The wedding was short and the reception was long. I had the feeling that my cousin had married a frat party. Well, ok. Urr...
You can see pictures of it all right here.

PS. I though it would be a good idea to hire a car and drive to Cleveland but Stephen said that it would take 14 hours to get there from here. Well, it turns out that he was under the impression that Ohio was on the other side of Illinois. Well, no one I know seems to have the so-called "midwest" down straight but still... I Mapquested the drive from our house to Erin's and it takes 7 hours and 46 minutes. Next time, we will drive. We could even go for Thanksgiving this year. Oh, boy!

No comments: